I am having orofacial pain that occurs on the left side of my face from time to time when I wake up. It radiates from my jaw to my head causing headache. Neg-cavities, Neg-Tmj. It usually only happen when I wake and can last all day. How do I stop it?

In brief: Left face pain

This sounds like TMJ pain, which is most commonly caused by bruxism ( chronic teeth grinding and/or clenching) when asleep, and which can cause headaches, migraines, face, jaw, head and ear pain.
However, there are many other possibilities which can only be ruled in or out by having a complete clinical exam. See your dentist to evaluate any dental causes. If negative, see your medical doctor.

In brief: Left face pain

Dr. Daniel Rubenstein
Dr. Daniel Rubenstein
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Need to

Need to rule out infected teeth, gums, tonsils, throat, sinuses, ears.
Need to rule out malocclusion, Myofacial Pain Dysfunction Sybdrome as well as Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction. See ENT, Neurologist, Oral Surgeon, Orthodontist, Orofacial Pain Expert, as well as your Dentist & PCP, to find cause by process of elimination.

In brief: Need to

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman

In brief: Wisdom teeth

Are your wisdom teeth impacted? Have radiographs taken of the area of all four third molars or a panorex to ascertain if this is your problem at age 21.

In brief: Wisdom teeth

Dr. Debra Rosenblatt
Dr. Debra Rosenblatt
Dr. Donovan Young
Dentistry

In brief: See your dentist/MD.

See your dentist or your Family Physician for an evaluation.
A specialist maybe consulted and treatment recommended.

In brief: See your dentist/MD.

Dr. Donovan Young
Dr. Donovan Young
3 comments
Dr. Donovan Young
I agree with Dr. Rubenstein's answer; see your dentist first and if, negative follow-up with your Primary Care Physcian for a referral.
Dr. Donovan Young
Detete comment.

In brief: Neurologist

I would recommend Neurologist Consultation.

In brief: Neurologist

Dr. Irina Hayrapetyan
Dr. Irina Hayrapetyan

In brief: Not Sure but...

If you have seen your dentist and have found no problems with teeth or tmj then consider possibility that you are clenching or grinding at night (it that hasnt already been discussed).
Speak with your doctor about a night guard. If that is not helping then consider the possibility of neurological pain from the nerve around your face. Perhaps see a Head/Neck specialist or Neurologist.

In brief: Not Sure but...

Dr. Pavanjit Chhabra
Dr. Pavanjit Chhabra
Dr. Andrew Killgore
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Deprogrammer

Check out youtube videos concerning John Kois and "bite deprogramming.
"

In brief: Deprogrammer

"
Dr. Andrew Killgore
Dr. Andrew Killgore
Dr. John Thaler
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: Specialist

You might be sleeping on that side and causing some pressure on the nerves.
However, this should resolve quickly and not result in headaches. See the Neurologist for evaluation and diagnosis and tx options. Good Luck.

In brief: Specialist

Dr. John Thaler
Dr. John Thaler
Dr. Lindsey Wolfer
check for teeth grinding- bruxism
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: See OFP specialist

The Orofacial Pain specialists provide diagnosis and treatment of pain in the head, face and TMJ.
They are the experts in chronic pain field. Look for OFP specialist near you.

In brief: See OFP specialist

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Que Chu
General Practice

In brief: Oral facial pain

Diagnosis very difficult.
Please prepare detailed history of your pain. Any trigger? Pain is stabbing, squeezing, burning sensation ?, lacrimation, tearing ? When did it first started? Details of headache. Past medical Hx very important: Herpes infection, trauma, surgery . Medications. Start with Neurology Consult. Nothing works try acupuncture. Good luck https://www.facebook.com/drqueanhchu

In brief: Oral facial pain

Diagnosis very difficult.
Dr. Que Chu
Dr. Que Chu

In brief: Muscle pain

sounds like a muscle spasm or nerve entrapment.
If you have not already seen a dentist, you may want to seek out care from one that specializes in pain management or TMD. Although it may not be related to the TM Joint, it probably is a muscle issue. We start with a diagnostic night guard or splint and medications

In brief: Muscle pain

Dr. Keith Hollander
Dr. Keith Hollander
Dr. Alan Zweig
Dentistry

In brief: See a dentist

You are probably grinding your teeth at night and need a night guard.
See your dentist. How do you know you are negative for TMJ? What you are describing is myositis secondary to temporo mandibular dysfunction.

In brief: See a dentist

Dr. Alan Zweig
Dr. Alan Zweig
Dr. Jerry Brown
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: Tension Headache

Good day; Possible tension headache which is a diffuse, mild to moderate pain-- may feel like a tight band, pulled firmly around your head.
Coping with these headaches- consider a good food plan and exercise. Judicious use of OTC pain medications like ibuprofen or aspirin. Headache (pain clinic ) at local teaching hospital may be helpful.

In brief: Tension Headache

Dr. Jerry Brown
Dr. Jerry Brown
Dr. Robert Douglas
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Need Evaluation

You should be evaluated for Bruxism - the clenching or grinding of your teeth during sleep and for Sleep Apnea.
Gotta find it before you can fix it. Don't rule out TMJ completely just yet.

In brief: Need Evaluation

Dr. Robert Douglas
Dr. Robert Douglas
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry

In brief: Oral facial pain

First see a dentist or oral surgeon to evaluate all you oral structures, wisdom teeth, TMJ, muscles glands.
Any clenching or grinding? Any trauma? If all this is negative then see MD.

In brief: Oral facial pain

Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dr. Vicken Poochikian