My OB/Gyn called to tell me my AC1 levels were elevated at 5.7 and that I am at risk of diabetes, what is this means?

Dr. Cynthia Frazier
Gynecology

In brief: HgA1c

Is an index of your average blood sugar over the previous 90 days.
You do not have diabetes and can prevent it from developing by changing your diet. You should thank your doctor for ordering this test! Every carb has a glycemic index. Find a list online and choose carbs with a low glycemic index. Eat more veggies and protein. Avoid refined sugars. You'll be amazed at how much better you feel!

In brief: HgA1c

Dr. Cynthia Frazier
Dr. Cynthia Frazier
Dr. Paul Kaplowitz
We have found that HbA1c of 5.7% (normal 5.6 or less) is not very predictive of developing diabetes, especially if the test is run at LabCorp. A level of 6-6.4 is worrisome and 6.5 or greater usually means diabetes. The fact that your doctor tested you tells me you are probably overweight and if so I agree that changing your diet is a good place to start. A fasting blood glucose is a better test
Dr. Jane Van Dis