I had an abscess lanced and packed 2 days ago in ER by a PA. The abscess is even bigger and more painfull! Is it possible she overpacked it?

Dr. Atul Singh
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Abscess

Often abcess can have multiple septa and the PA may not have broken all of them and you may have a cavity that is growing.
Increasing pain and size is concerning. Based on location you may need a formal surgerical intervention. Best of seek care and see if a surgeon can examine and determine what need to be done. Abx are needed for a short duration of the abcess is opened up.

In brief: Abscess

Dr. Atul Singh
Dr. Atul Singh
Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Call back

I presume a bacterial culture was obtained and antibiotic sensitivity was performed.
It appears that you do need an antibiotic which the drug sensitivity panel can assist in finding one. Call the ER and if necessary go there again.

In brief: Call back

Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. Sunil Bochare

In brief: See a doctor !!

You need to have the abscess evaluated again.
Also might need oral antibiotics and the packing to be changed. I always insist on getting evaluated by a physician instead of a PA or NP.

In brief: See a doctor !!

Dr. Sunil Bochare
Dr. Sunil Bochare
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine