I have bunions and my profession requires me to be on my feet 50 hours per week and it's getting painful. Should I consider surgery?

Dr. David Laha
Podiatry

In brief: It is an option

Bunions are common structural deformities.
The deformity only gets worse, but you can improve your symptoms with better shoes and supports. At some point, surgical intervention will probably be needed. See your board certified foot surgeon if symptoms persists. Dr l.

In brief: It is an option

Dr. David Laha
Dr. David Laha

In brief: Yes, Bunionectomy

It is very possible to remove the bunion deformity, realign the great toe joint and maintain or (in a hallux limitus or rigidus condition) increase the range of motion in this joint.
This is being done every day in operating rooms across the country. If done properly it will most likely eliminate the bunion pain. Seek a board certified foot surgeon who can show you many successful happy patients.

In brief: Yes, Bunionectomy

Dr. Angelo Mitsos
Dr. Angelo Mitsos

In brief: Bunions

If your job requires that much time on your feet it depends on procedure.
Can you get any time off? The other option should you have surgery is crutches or rent a scooter like at grocery store. Best of luck.

In brief: Bunions

Dr. Jeffrey Bowman
Dr. Jeffrey Bowman
Dr. Libby Putnam
Podiatry

In brief: Daily problems.

You can never get your original foot back with surgery, but if your feet are causing you to change your activities of daily living, or giving you pain on a daily basis, it's time to consider surgery.

In brief: Daily problems.

Dr. Libby Putnam
Dr. Libby Putnam
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry

In brief: See a physician

If you haven't had any conservative measures, i would recommend trying wider shoes to accommodate the bunion.
However, if you have had conservative care, you should see a specialist that can evaluate your particular bunion and make possible surgical recommendations.

In brief: See a physician

Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Bunion

Bunion surgery treats deformity not pain, painless feet are a gift not found under the surgery tree.
Painful stif straighter toe is common outcome.

In brief: Bunion

Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery