On the side of my right knee is a lump that hurts when I bend my leg or sit for a long period of time. It has gotten worse. Any ideas? Thank you!!

Knee bump. If red ,tender to touch may be abscess or may be cyst or ganglion cyst which develops in tendon sheaths from repetitive use. Cysts can be drained an if needed removed. Abscesses have to be drained and need antibiotics f/u with urgent care/doc http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/ganglion_cyst?print=true ( ganglion cysts are common not at all cancer)