It seems as if psychiatrists prescribe more klonopin (clonazepam) and md's more Ativan for anxious depressed patients....is this accurate?

Maybe. The general trend by most doctors has been not to prescribe benzodiazepines as much as before. New studies have shown that they may carry a risk of dementia if used long term. That said, psychiatrists tend to use clonazepam because of its long half life and delayed onset of action, which makes it less Limey to be abused. Other doctors use lorazepam because it helps a lot of things.
Ativan, Klonopin (clonazepam) Stresses of marriage, separation, divorce, relationships, parenting, work, finances and medical illnesses can cause anxiety and depression Every physician and psychiatrist based upon clinical experience, prescribes Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety, effect lasts up to 6 hours; or Klonopin-effect lasts up to 12 hours. There are other medications for depression Therapy with medication, Relaxation, yoga helps more.