I've had a soar throat for 4 months and it was recently diagnosed as GERD. I've been taking pantoprazole for 1 week but have had no improvements. How long does it take for the lump on my throat to go away?

Dr. Franklyn Gergits
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Globus sensation

Greetings. The lump feeling in your throat is often referred to as a globus sensation.
This is usually caused by either acid or a chemical located in our stomach called "pepcin" that helps us digest the protein in our food. If these chemical reflux into the throat we sense a "lump" like feeling. It often takes weeks maybe months to fully resolve. A low acid diet often helps speed resolution too.

In brief: Globus sensation

Dr. Franklyn Gergits
Dr. Franklyn Gergits
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine