Was rxed Qnasl and Aerospan for severe asthma. Had to switch to Flonase because Qnasl too expensive. No insurance. Using albuterol more. Any advice?

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics - Pulmonology

In brief: Mgt

Administration of the nasal sprays and the technique used is important.
Avoid spraying the middle of the nose called the septum. Blowing your nose or rinsing with saline prior to use also helps in delivering the nasal steroid.

In brief: Mgt

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. John Chiu
Actually I am more concerned about the "using albuterol more" issue. Allergic rhinitis is not life-threatening but uncontrolled asthma may be deadly.
Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

I have no problem with Flonase which likely works just well as Qnasl.
However you should not use albuterol alone for your asthma since it may actually make your asthma worse if used regularly. Resume Aerospan or talk to your pharmacist to see which inhaled steroid is least expensive for you. Some drug companies may provide free supplies for financial hardship.

Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine