I had a major blood infection last year (sepsis) no insurance so minimal health care. Is there any long term effects I should be concerned about?

Dr. Frank Mayo
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Not usually

Your young age and whatever care you received helped you recover. Some people have transient kidney , liver and respiratory trouble but these issues would have occurred with the sepsis.

In brief: Not usually

Dr. Frank Mayo
Dr. Frank Mayo
Dr. Michael DePietro

In brief: Most of the time no

In general if someone has sepsis and recovers there is no long term effect of the sepsis per se.
The condition that placed someone at risk for sepsis may persist and need care. For example someone who has a chronic disease ( copd, kidney failure, cancer) may have gotten sepsis as a consequence of the disease and the underlying illness would still need care.

In brief: Most of the time no

Dr. Michael DePietro
Dr. Michael DePietro
Dr. Rashed Hasan
Board Certified, Pediatrics - Critical Care