Hi. I think I have had anxiety for as long as I can remember. But this is the first time I'm reaching out. I don't really know where to go from here?

Dr. Carrie Cannon

In brief: Anxiety

Thank you for trusting and reaching out to us for help.
Anxiety can be a debilitating problem that leads to much distress. A family physician for a complete physical, evaluation, recommendations, and referral to a specialist if needed is a great place to start. SSRI's, CBT, biofeedback, and other treatments are beneficial.

In brief: Anxiety

Dr. Carrie Cannon
Dr. Carrie Cannon
Dr. Bernard Seif
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Congratulations for

reaching out-; that's a great first step.
Please see your doc for a medical screening and and possible referral to a mental health professional. Please don't use medicine only. Work with a therapist like a clinical psychologist who can teach you skills to manage this. Anxiety disorders are very treatable and can lead to ha happier life. Peace and good health.

In brief: Congratulations for

Dr. Bernard Seif
Dr. Bernard Seif
Dr. Julian Raffoul
General Practice

In brief: ADAA.org

Excellent question and THANK YOU for having the courage to ask for help.
Many people suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder, defined as chronic, excessive worry causing distress for at least 6 mo. 3 of 6 key symptoms are required to Dx: restless/nervous, fatigue, poor concentration, irritable, muscle tension, or sleep disturbance. Please see your doctor for additional assistance or www.ADAA.org.

In brief: ADAA.org

Dr. Julian Raffoul
Dr. Julian Raffoul
Dr. Steven Griggs
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Get some general

info first, and try to narrow down your sx's into categories, intensity, frequency, etc.
Here's a starting point: http://www.psychologyproductsandservices.com/page2.html

In brief: Get some general

Dr. Steven Griggs
Dr. Steven Griggs
Dr. Rick Barnett
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Anxiety gets better

With treatment.
You are starting to reach out. Treatment works. What is treatment? First, get a personal/professional referral for a known and/or highly qualified mental health provider (counselor, social worker, psychologist). If your anxiety symptoms are NOT totally debilitating, try 3-6 sessions of therapy. If suggested by therapist, consult prescribing provider to see if meds may help.

In brief: Anxiety gets better

With treatment.
Dr. Rick Barnett
Dr. Rick Barnett
Dr. Beverly Dexter
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Persistent anxiety

Please talk with a psychologist expert in assessment and treatment of anxiety disorders.
You may not n need to be on meds, but they can be very helpful in taking the edge off of overwhelming anxiety and that makes it easier to do the therapy. Anxiety always has a logical source though--it always started somewhere with a true threat. I have a great handout for this. EMDR Therapy most effective!

In brief: Persistent anxiety

Dr. Beverly Dexter
Dr. Beverly Dexter
Dr. Barbara Lavi
EMDR is a great treatment option.
Dr. Barbara Lavi
Clinical Psychology

In brief: I agree with my

HealthTap colleagues and hope you will take the next step and speak with a professional.
Perhaps an online consult via HealthTap Concierge with a psychologist from Indiana will be a good starting point. They can explain how therapy for anxiety works. You can see if you want to work with them online or in person if their office is close to where you live.

In brief: I agree with my

Dr. Barbara Lavi
Dr. Barbara Lavi
Dr. Peter Kurzweil