I just coughed and it feels like a have a charlie horse in my back . I can't move at all and when I eat the pain worsens its on my left upper side ?

Dr. Hallie Robbins
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Splinting cough pain

Your coughing might have caused a stitch in your back due to strain of the muscles between the ribs as well as in the back, or even a shift of ribs/neck/vertebrae.
Lungs and other internal organs can send referred pain signals to your musculoskeletal system (viscerosomatic reflexes is the term). See your primary care provider to confirm it's not pneumonia etc; then see a do/md/pt to get moving.

In brief: Splinting cough pain

Dr. Hallie Robbins
Dr. Hallie Robbins

In brief: See your doctor

You should see your doctor-the 'charlie horse' could be a sign of pneumonia or costochondritis.
If you have any shortness of breath-go immediately.

In brief: See your doctor

Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine