I have a deBakey I dissection with a Stanford A repair. I want to go to the mountains and the passes are 9600 feet and 11,000 feet. would this be too risky for me; my blood pressure is well controlled, no plaque in arteries.

Dr. Anuj Malik

In brief: Prior exertion

If you have performed moderate to intense exercise after the repair without problems, subjecting yourself to similar total stress (which takes into account the elevation and low oxygen level you will be exposed to) should not cause problems in general.
Co-existing health problems including cardiovascular conditions or lung conditions can impose greater stress on you. Be careful. Good luck.

In brief: Prior exertion

Dr. Anuj Malik
Dr. Anuj Malik
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology