Can ativan (lorazepam) actually CAUSE insomnia? I've been taking it for sleep and I've been getting less and less sleep.

Dr. Rifat Naghmi

In brief: Insomnia

No

In brief: Insomnia

No
Dr. Rifat Naghmi
Dr. Rifat Naghmi
2 comments
Dr. Bradford Romans
You could be experiencing "tolerance",a developed decreased sensitivity to a med taken daily.Think of an addict who needs more and more to get high.
Dr. Krishna Kumar
It seems that person has developed tolerance to Ativan
Dr. Michelle King

In brief: Paradoxical

Paradoxical reactions may occur with any sleep medication, but is notorious with benzodiazepines, including ativan (lorazepam).
Please inform your prescriber that you're having this difficulty such that you may discuss an alternative treatment for your insomnia.

In brief: Paradoxical

Dr. Michelle King
Dr. Michelle King
Dr. Beverly Dexter
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Sedating meds

All hypnotics and benzodiazepines have the ability to produce tolerance, so the same dose has less effect over time--possibly leading to feeling more anxious.
CBT for Insomnia can address both the behaviors and the thoughts (I'm not going to be able to fall asleep, etc)that feed into insomnia and make it worse. Please keep some sleep diaries to figure out what all factors might also relate to anxi

In brief: Sedating meds

Dr. Beverly Dexter
Dr. Beverly Dexter
Dr. Ali Saberi

In brief: Restlessness

it has and can lead to restlessness.
Some even get fidgety. Would suggest to call ur doctor for adjustment of medication

In brief: Restlessness

it has and can lead to restlessness.
Dr. Ali Saberi
Dr. Ali Saberi
Dr. Krishna Kumar

In brief: Insomnia, Ativan (lorazepam)

I understand your concern about less sleep.
Ativan (lorazepam) is not a specific medication for insomnia. It is for anxiety. Usually, the side effect is sedation. Side effect of insomnia is not common. Please go to Grand Canyon National Park in your State and feel Wonder and peace. Then see a psychiatrist about your journey of life, Ativan (lorazepam) benefits and side effects, Therapy and other medications if needed.

In brief: Insomnia, Ativan (lorazepam)

Dr. Krishna Kumar
Dr. Krishna Kumar

In brief: Not best zzz med

Ativan (lorazepam) is not the best sleep medication.
While it is always possible that you have a bed response to it, a trial of a better sleep medication might be in order AFTER your doctor figures out why a 25 year old is having trouble sleeping

In brief: Not best zzz med

Dr. Michael Blumenfield
Dr. Michael Blumenfield
Dr. Krishna Kumar
Ativan is not a sleep medication.
Dr. Adam Tripp

In brief: No

ativan is a benzodiazepine or alcohol in a pill, they activate the same brain receptors, the GABA receptors.
You may be developing a tolerance and dependence on it. You should talk to your doctor about switching to another medication to help your sleep that is not addicting.

In brief: No

Dr. Adam Tripp
Dr. Adam Tripp
Dr. Prakash Ettigi

In brief: Not usually

Lorazepam can help with sleep initially but tolerance to the med is common and the effectiveness decreases with chronic use.
It usually does not cause insomnia. The dose may need to be adjusted or an alternative sleep med may be needed.

In brief: Not usually

Dr. Prakash Ettigi
Dr. Prakash Ettigi
Dr. Eric Weisman