I've been having trouble sleeping, ativan (lorazepam) doesn't work. Docs want me to try valuim. I don't really want to do anymore benzos. How's melatonin for anxiety? Will it effect it, because my anxiety is BAD

Dr. Ayisha Gani

In brief: Anxiety

You need to consider other classes medication like SSRI or SNRI for your anxiety, may be if you control your anxiety, the sleeping problem might resolve itself.
Hydroxyzine is another option for anxiety and insomnia. Consider counseling.

In brief: Anxiety

Dr. Ayisha Gani
Dr. Ayisha Gani
Dr. Stuart Rosan

In brief: Melatonin for sleep

Melatonin does work for insomnia in some patients, hard to determine the efficacy since it's an OTC drug + don't think there are any definitive medical studies as benefit for anxiety.
Regarding your anxiety, might be more appropriate to consider possibly having some GAD or OCD. Can be better treated with SSRI's and therapy as needed. Benzos are like band aids, not dealing with underlying cause

In brief: Melatonin for sleep

Dr. Stuart Rosan
Dr. Stuart Rosan
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Many treatments

for anxiety are available, but first and foremost you need a diagnosis.
Anxiety is a symptom, and anxiety disorders can include social phobia, post-traumatic stress disorder, panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and anxiety associated with depression, and others. Each is treated differently, and benzodiazepines are not necessarily the best. Psychotherapy works well as do antidepressants.

In brief: Many treatments

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Laura Anissian

In brief: Melatonin

Melatonin is the natural substance your body sends out to tell your body it is time to sleep.
It will not help with anxiety. Valium is a strong Benzo. Discuss if it is primarily anxiety or sleep issues with your MD and see if a sleep aide is best route.

In brief: Melatonin

Dr. Laura Anissian
Dr. Laura Anissian
Dr. Carisa Hines
Palliative Care

In brief: Insomnia

Melatonin is an over the counter sleep aid, and has no indication for treating anxiety.
I recommend discussing this medication (melatonin) with your doctor and your pharmacist ( to check for possible drug interactions).

In brief: Insomnia

Dr. Carisa Hines
Dr. Carisa Hines
Dr. Steven Griggs
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Melatonin is

usually taken before bed to induce sleep by boosting the natural hormones the brain generates as it gets sleepy (anticipates darknes).
Run this by your MD first, but you might try Valerian Root, which is an herbal version of Valium and not addictive. Valium and Ativan (lorazepam) are both benzo's and are usually not good sleep aids, plus there is dependence potential.

In brief: Melatonin is

Dr. Steven Griggs
Dr. Steven Griggs
Dr. Linda Callaghan
Try sleep hygiene before going to bed. Melatonin is also good. There is an OTC sleep aid called Somnapure which combines herbal products which could help. Talk to your doctor about prescribing a Berta blocker instead of Benzos before you go to bed and also for your anxiety.

In brief: Suggestions

First, medicines like Ativan (lorazepam) and/or Valium do NOT cure anxiety or insomnia, they merely lessen the symptoms and allow you to cope far better. I would endorse a trial of OTC Melatonin, and far prefer to "sleeping pills".
But I do suggest contacting a Cognitive-Behavioral therapist to explore underlying emotional distress and get this under full control.

In brief: Suggestions

Dr. Beverly Dexter
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Melatonin

Melatonin may help some people with sleep, but not a guarantee, and I never expect it to help with daytime anxiety.
Strongly recommend you see and EMDR trained psychologist, expert in treating anxiety disorders. Effective therapy is the long term answer--please don't give up. CBT for Insomnia is also considered the gold standard for treating insomnia. You can contact me regarding both

In brief: Melatonin

Dr. Beverly Dexter
Dr. Beverly Dexter