I've been having trouble sleeping, ativan (lorazepam) doesn't work. Docs want me to try valuim. I don't really want to do anymore benzos. How's melatonin for anxiety? Will it effect it, because my anxiety is BAD

Anxiety. You need to consider other classes medication like SSRI or SNRI for your anxiety, may be if you control your anxiety, the sleeping problem might resolve itself. Hydroxyzine is another option for anxiety and insomnia. Consider counseling.
Melatonin for sleep. Melatonin does work for insomnia in some patients, hard to determine the efficacy since it's an OTC drug + don't think there are any definitive medical studies as benefit for anxiety. Regarding your anxiety, might be more appropriate to consider possibly having some GAD or OCD. Can be better treated with SSRI's and therapy as needed. Benzos are like band aids, not dealing with underlying cause.
Many treatments. for anxiety are available, but first and foremost you need a diagnosis. Anxiety is a symptom, and anxiety disorders can include social phobia, post-traumatic stress disorder, panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and anxiety associated with depression, and others. Each is treated differently, and benzodiazepines are not necessarily the best. Psychotherapy works well as do antidepressants.
Melatonin. Melatonin is the natural substance your body sends out to tell your body it is time to sleep. It will not help with anxiety. Valium is a strong Benzo. Discuss if it is primarily anxiety or sleep issues with your MD and see if a sleep aide is best route.
Insomnia . Melatonin is an over the counter sleep aid, and has no indication for treating anxiety. I recommend discussing this medication (melatonin) with your doctor and your pharmacist ( to check for possible drug interactions). .
Melatonin is. usually taken before bed to induce sleep by boosting the natural hormones the brain generates as it gets sleepy (anticipates darknes). Run this by your MD first, but you might try Valerian Root, which is an herbal version of Valium and not addictive. Valium and Ativan (lorazepam) are both benzo's and are usually not good sleep aids, plus there is dependence potential.
Suggestions. First, medicines like Ativan (lorazepam) and/or Valium do NOT cure anxiety or insomnia, they merely lessen the symptoms and allow you to cope far better. I would endorse a trial of OTC Melatonin, and far prefer to "sleeping pills". But I do suggest contacting a Cognitive-Behavioral therapist to explore underlying emotional distress and get this under full control.
Melatonin. Melatonin may help some people with sleep, but not a guarantee, and I never expect it to help with daytime anxiety. Strongly recommend you see and EMDR trained psychologist, expert in treating anxiety disorders. Effective therapy is the long term answer--please don't give up. CBT for Insomnia is also considered the gold standard for treating insomnia. You can contact me regarding both.