I have beta-thalassemia and HCV. I was on interferon with ribavirin in 2008. It didn't work. Now I want to try Sovaldi. What are my chances it works?

Pathology

In brief: Worth the try

It's looking really good.
I hope you are able to get it. The politics of availability are bizarre -- I feel the drug company needs to see a fair profit that will allow more work, and that the people whose taxes paid for the basic research aren't denied a great medicine. Keep reading the blogs and find out the best way for you to get access to the real stuff at reasonable cost.

In brief: Worth the try

It's looking really good.
Thanks for the follow-up. Congratulations on getting access to this wonderful new medication.
Dr. Andrew Seibert
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Above 90%

Sovaldi and the other recently released hepatitis C medicines have high response rates, regardless of previous IFN non-response status, with very few side effects.
The exact rate mostly depends on your HCV subtype. You should see your liver doctor to discuss treatment. Good luck.

In brief: Above 90%

Dr. Andrew Seibert
Dr. Andrew Seibert
Dr. Shontae Buffington