Saw a psychiatrist for my anxiety & self harm. He made me feel like I could never be " fixed". Now I'm afraid to find a new dr. Where should I start?

Dr. Patricia Foster

In brief: Keep going..

Often in psychiatry (and medicine) we can't 'cure' but can reduce symptoms so people are happier and healthier. Ask a trusted doctor, health care professional, friend/family member for a referral.
Tell them if you prefer a male/female doctor, etc. The best outcomes need a good fit between patient and doctor/therapist. Keep going until you find a doctor with whom you're comfortable. Best wishes.

In brief: Keep going..

Dr. Patricia Foster
Dr. Patricia Foster
2 comments
Dr. Lynne Weixel
I fully endorse this reply! Psych pros can't yet fix people and if we can in the future it would still leave us needing to learn better ways to live to manage anxiety and behaviors that are harmful. Just as you might look hard for the dress that is right for you, do it for your mental health providers. It's not an insult and you'll do much better when the fit is right!
Dr. Patricia Foster
Thanks Dr. W
Dr. Annita Jones
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Search

in your area for a therapist who specializes in anxiety and self-injurious behaviors.
There are certainly ways to work on the issues you present and it needs to be done with someone who knows the difference between self-injury and suicide attempts.

In brief: Search

Dr. Annita Jones
Dr. Annita Jones
Dr. William Forsythe