Greetings,Besides heredity.. what are other factors that causes baldness? Is it true that regular usage of shampoo and hair gel causes this? Thanks

Dr. Richard Roberts
Clinical Genetics

In brief: It's heredity--the

Jean causing male pattern baldness is on the X-chromosome.
That means your father had nothing to do with it because there are very few genes on the Y chromosome. It doesn't matter if your father and his father had a full head of hair. What matters is if your mother has brothers with full heads of hair and your mother's father also. The culprit is dihydrotestosterone, made in skin receptors from T.

In brief: It's heredity--the

Dr. Richard Roberts
Dr. Richard Roberts
Dr. Marcie Berman
Periods of severe stress can also lead to hair loss but this is typically temporary and resolves when the stress is dealt with.
Pathology

In brief: It's your genes, man

I'm really sorry that anybody told you that keeping your hair clean or using stuff to give it shape is going to make you bald.
Male pattern baldness is genetically programmed and generally runs with how much chest hair you're naturally blessed with. You can slow it down with medications, or embrace it, shave your head, and get really physically fit -- nothing a man can do looks better.

In brief: It's your genes, man

As above, I trust that you are asking about classic male pattern baldness rather than hypothyroidism, alopecia areata, or telogen effluvium.