My mom has never had chickenpox but was around someone with shingles. She doesn't have any symptoms, but could she transmit chicken pox to my newborn?

Unlikely. Tests confirm Cpx antibody in 96% of adults with no prior history of disease. Shingles differs from Cpx in that it can only be passed by direct contact with debris of weeping lesions. Your mom is only at risk of disease if she was one of the few, and had direct exposure. If you had Cpx or the shot, your baby is protected for at least 6 mo.