I had a mammography yesterday because of a lump in my breast and it was nothing. is a one time mammography dangerous or increase cancer risk? im 25

Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology

In brief: There is a miniscule

theoretical risk, approximately 0.
006% over baseline. In other words, there is greater than a 99% chance it will have no effect. The risk is theoretical: there is no empirical proof that mammography increases cancer risk at all.

In brief: There is a miniscule

theoretical risk, approximately 0.
Dr. Michael Gabor
Dr. Michael Gabor
Dr. Myron Arlen
Surgery - Oncology

Two reasons for not doing a mammogram under 35 is that young breast tissue is very dense and mammo frequently unable to visualize a lesion, The other reason is that breast tissue under 35 is very sensitive to X ray and repeated films in a young patient can increase incidence of breast cancer.
Under 35 one uses good palpation and sonography. If necessary in rare cases an MRI can be performed.

Dr. Myron Arlen
Dr. Myron Arlen
Dr. Darrin Cunningham
I definitely agree that repeated mammograms should be avoided and using other techniques for younger women definitely should be looked at first if possible.
Dr. Darrin Cunningham

In brief: Low Risk

mammography today uses very low levels of radiation.
I would not worry at all about your mammogram causing cancer.

In brief: Low Risk

Dr. Darrin Cunningham
Dr. Darrin Cunningham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham