My K level is 3.2. I have been really constipated and have taken MiraLax (polyethylene glycol) for 2 days and Colace for 3 days. Can I take 200mg of Colace today (the 4th day) or is my K level too low to be taking these laxatives?

Dr. Rebecca Gliksman

In brief: K level constipate

Your k level low but if you eat 3-4 bananas you can bring it up.
Also pedialyte. What may help with your consitpation is hydration, drink about 3 -3.5 liters of fluid water /gatorade a day just water will decrease sodium eat high fiber, avocados, cup of oats, cup of lentils, brown rice, barley strawberries, kale. F/u w/doc discuss Milk of magnesia, (magnesium hydroxide) krystalose

In brief: K level constipate

Dr. Rebecca Gliksman
Also discuss with doc, why still constipated as as you have taken alot of medication is is meds like pain meds or bowel dysmotility Olgilvie syndrome? May discuss xray of abodmen or CT
Dr. Michael Lee

In brief: Laxatives & low K

you can lose potassium if you have diarrhea but it's ok to take 2 colace (docusate sodium) per day for constipation.
You can also try senna or Metamucil or citrucil to increase fiber and help constipation. You can also eat leafy green veggies and drink OJ and eat bananas to raise your potassium

In brief: Laxatives & low K

Dr. Michael Gross
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: K

You can take colase but go ahead and take some K also

In brief: K

Dr. Arnon Rubin