What else besides your period and being pregnant can make your breasts tender?

Several things. Fibrocystic breast change is a common cause of breast tenderness in which your breasts may feel lumpy & painful. This is due to hormonal changes during your cycle. Avoiding smoking & caffeine may improve pain associated w/ this condition. Hormone replacement, large breasts, cysts, infection & inflammation can also cause tenderness. If you suffer from breast pain, see your dr to determine the cause.
Fibrocystic changes. You may be experiencing fibrocystic changes. It is the most common cause of breast pain/tenderness. The breasts form fluid filled cysts that are tender. In many women, caffeine if the offender. Take a look at your diet and see if there has been an increase in caffeine (coffee, teas, soda, chocolate are a few). Decrease or eliminate caffeine for 3-4 weeks. You should notice a decrease in pain.