Hi! My Nose is very plugged due the pollen allergy. I just wondered if it is safe to put 32 - 40% alcohol liquor into my nose with out making damage?

Dr. Barbara Stark Baxter
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Ethanol and the nose

Ethanol is a toxic substance.
Alcohol in drinks is very damaging to all parts of the human body, causing cancer, fatal liver disease, brain damage and death. The nasal mucosa is very delicate tissue and also absorbs drugs rapidly and well. You might lose your sense of smell and you would have severe nasal burning, as well as probably get intoxicated, perhaps die. DON'T EVER do this. NOT SAFE!

In brief: Ethanol and the nose

Ethanol is a toxic substance.
Dr. Barbara Stark Baxter
Dr. Barbara Stark Baxter
Dr. John Chiu

In brief: It's not safe

It may end up irritating your nose making your problem worse.
Some decongestant effect may occur transiently due to your body's stress response to the irritation but you will likely end up worse off later on. Try a steroid nasal spray instead. See allergist if this failed.

In brief: It's not safe

Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. Al Hegab

In brief: No, don't

go to your doctor, find an ENT/allergist and work with, avoid those dangerous home remedies, and alcohol in general, through any route, be careful

In brief: No, don't

Dr. Al Hegab
Dr. Al Hegab
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine