I highly suspect I have an allergy to a hair product I use on scalp. But could it take 6-12 months to develop initially? Wouldn't it show within a wk?

Dr. Duane Gels
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Not always.

Timing and distribution of the rash help identify the cause of allergic contact dermatitis.
Hair products have a number of chemicals that can cause reactions in the skin over time, and not necessarily right away. Itching, redness, flaking, burning that worsening after repeated application would be suggestive. See an allergist who can do patch testing for allergy for some insight.

In brief: Not always.

Dr. Duane Gels
Dr. Duane Gels
Dr. Duane Gels
You are very welcome! Safe holiday celebrating!