My thumb pad turns purple and my wrist becomes painful when I put pressure on it. Nothing appears in imaging tests. Does anyone know what this is?

Dr. Rebecca Gliksman

In brief: Wrist pain thumb prp

Consider DeQuervains or a variant of Raynaud's an autoimmune phenomena ( check sed rate CRP) or a anomaly of the radial artery ( check doppler arterial study-) especially if it was instrumented at one time.
Consider MRI of wrist may have cyst impinging on vessal f/u with doc rheumatologist

In brief: Wrist pain thumb prp

Dr. Rebecca Gliksman
Dr. Rebecca Gliksman
Dr. Jose J Monsivais
Glomus tumor should be considered . Specially if triggered by temperature changes, physical exam is the best tool, followed by high resolution MRI
Dr. Magdy Shaaban
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Hematoma

could be hematoma.
from trauma. the trauma could be trivial that you dont remember. like twisting the thumb for example

In brief: Hematoma

could be hematoma.
Dr. Magdy Shaaban
Dr. Magdy Shaaban
Dr. John Goldman
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: It could be vascular

The purple thumb suggest this could be vascular.
I'm uncertain where you put the pressure to cause it to turn purple. There are other structures in the wrist we might also consider. You need to discuss this with your physician, but it may be more physiologic there anything that is pathologic

In brief: It could be vascular

Dr. John Goldman
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. Umesh Patel

In brief: Dysautonomia

Dysautonomia syndrome causes different symptoms alleviated by avoidance of stimulants, ensuring hydration, using magnesium, vitamin D & omega fish oils (www.
cardiamin.com, use code: CMC), low dose beta blockers e.g. propranolol 5 to 10mg 2 to 3 times daily and SSRIs e.g. citalopram 5 to 10mg daily. Read Dr. Ronald Hoffman’s MVP book (www.Amazon.com) and visit www.dysautonomiainternational.com.

In brief: Dysautonomia

Dr. Umesh Patel
Dr. Umesh Patel
Dr. Umesh Patel
Raynaud's syndrome may also cause intermittent change in color of extremities in response to repetitive injury eg overuse of limb or exposure to cool temperatures. Many dysautonomic patients have this associated condition.
Dr. Steven Seres