I was trying to get sleep & randomly felt a twitch from my upper back to upper part of my arms which woke me up. Is that common to get twitches before going to sleep?

Usually normal. Yes, happens often as you pass through stages of sleep, and is normal. Tho usually it's the sleep partner who complains; the sleeper stays asleep, but sometimes it does wakes them. Reading my toddler to sleep, when she twitches, I know she's out and I can go back to my reality show. .
Twitches. Would see if it is one time event or a repeated event. Would check electrolytes potassium magnesium sodium calcium, sometimes may be irritation of nerve from position ( like a trigger point irritation), pillow position, if is constant would f/u with doc though rare young people can have disc disease or even more rarely MS.