My mom is 76, in a nursing home with neuropathy. She seems confused as of lately. Could it be xanax (alprazolam) or dementia? She is on xanax (alprazolam) for her anxiety.

Dr. Patricia Foster

In brief: Talk to doctor

Could be many reasons your mom is confused, eg, medication, dementia status, infection, pain, injury even minor, or upset she can't verbalize.
You know her better than anyone on staff. Talk to her doctor and let other staff know your concern. Write down details of what you observe and review with doctor. Sounds like you're the main advocate for your mom. Speak up and find out the cause.

In brief: Talk to doctor

Dr. Patricia Foster
Dr. Patricia Foster
Dr. John Goldman
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Either are possible

why is she on the Xanax (alprazolam).
That's the question you have to ask. What is your treatment for neuropathy. That's a question you have to ask. What are the other medication she is taking. I know this is a frustrating time for you but you need to discuss with the physician and see if you can get her on the best program so she will have her best care available

In brief: Either are possible

why is she on the Xanax (alprazolam).
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Neuropsych eval

I would suggest a complete neuropsychological evaluation to assess for dementia.

In brief: Neuropsych eval

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Ronald Krauser
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Either one

Your question is better directed to the doctors caring for your mom.

In brief: Either one

Dr. Ronald Krauser
Dr. Ronald Krauser
Dr. Adam Levy