How is it possible for CT scans to miss kidney stones? I continue to pass fragments but only have stones IN my kidneys according to my CT scan in June

Dr. Atul Singh
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: CT

CT scans don't miss stones even stones that ultrasound or X-ray miss the ct picks the up.
Patients can often pass "gravel" like and not have formed stones and this is not unusual. Often you can have passed a stone and get the ct and thus the scan is negative. The key in stones is prevention and urine metabolic work up is needed. Contact a kidney doc. Best of luck

In brief: CT

Dr. Atul Singh
Dr. Atul Singh
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine