I have been using NuvaRing for years and never experienced Dark Brown discharge 2 weeks before my period is scheduled to come. I am extremely tired and it is hard to concentrate. I did leave the ring in week longer and had unprotected sex within that time

Dr. Jeff Livingston

In brief: Breakthrough bleed

Breakthrough bleeding (bleeding at the wrong time) is very common on birth control.
Its no big deal and usually self corrects over time. If you are not satisfied or it continues to happen then consider using a different birth control method. It is a common side effect and does not mean something is wrong or that the ring is not working. 4 weeks of Nuvaring use is fine. See doctor for fatigue

In brief: Breakthrough bleed

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Parul Krishnamurthy

In brief: Can happen

Most likely due to you leaving the ring longer than advised.
Do a pregnancy test 7-10 days after unprotected intercourse episode to be sure

In brief: Can happen

Dr. Parul Krishnamurthy
Dr. Parul Krishnamurthy
Dr. Jane Van Dis