How many food allergies can be detected by a skin allergy test?

Dr. Duane Gels
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Unlimited, but...

There are many (>100) foods available, but as it turns out, the vast majority of patients are allergic to a limited number. The "top 8" foods are cow's milk, hen's egg, wheat, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, fish and shellfish.
Screening for dozens of random foods rarely is helpful and may lead to an overly restricted diet. Review your story with the ordering provider and tailor accordingly.

In brief: Unlimited, but...

Dr. Duane Gels
Dr. Duane Gels
2 comments
Dr. John Chiu
I don't believe that screening for dozens of foods is warranted but I disagree with current guideline that no food testing without a suggestive history is warranted. For some patients, the detection of an unsuspected food allergy has changed their lives. Thus screening for allergy to the most common allergens cited above should be considered since the cost is low.
From my conversations and reading, I'm with you both
Pathology

In brief: Be cautious

Skin testing is a minor adjunct to the clinical history.
Some people test positive for lots of different foods and restrict themselves unnecessarily. The same applies for bloodwork. I would be very cautious before basing decisions on these tests. Your allergist will tell you the same.

In brief: Be cautious

Dr. John Chiu
I agree with the caution and would strongly advise anyone told to have a food allergy to confirm it with his allergist. Like every other test in medicine, skin or blood test for allergies require interpretation in the proper context. Test alone does not a diagnosis make.