Landed on a foot playing basketball and ankle made a pop sound and it hurt later that night, no swelling and it hurts bad to walk. Sprained or broken?

Sprained. From the nature of the injury it appears that you sprained it but as always you want to be certain that there is no fracture so if it continues to be painful I would consider getting an X-ray to make sure but conservative care with a ankle brace would help and also beginning an icing program and then work on a Range of motion program and ankle strengthening exercises as well.
Need eval. Without seeing you unable to tell. The fact that you have pain with walking is not a good sign. Best to see doctor for evaluation. Ice as much as possible to reduce pain and inflammation. Use OTC Ibuprofen or Naproxen for pain relief. Best of luck with this. Dr R.