What is something I could put on my infant's shot site to soothe his legs? I've heard milk of magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) and Vicks vapor rub.

In brief: Cool compress

Topical applications generally do nothing but make you feel good about doing something.
The discomfort is caused by a complex interaction of local and system reactions. Pain relievers help some. A cool compress will decrease the pain messages sent to the brain. I find Vicks is more an air pollutant that can trigger congestion and cough and never use it below school age.

In brief: Cool compress

Dr. Glynis Ablon
for infant pain tylenol and ice is best
Dr. Katharine Cox
Pediatrics - Emergency Medicine

In brief: Shots

Giving Tylenol (acetaminophen) may be helpful.
There are also topical numbing medications, such as EMLA that may help. All the best and I hope he feels better soon.

In brief: Shots

Dr. Katharine Cox
Dr. Katharine Cox
Dr. Shontae Buffington