I have been getting styes. Can they be an allergic reaction to something? I got the first one while I was on a retreat

Dr. Jan Lei Iwata
Ophthalmology

In brief: Not allergic in

origin but may be because of poor kid hygiene or blepharitis.
Use warm compresses for 15 mins. 4 times a day, and have your kids checked by your eye doctor. The oil glands need attention! You may have a poor tear film and dry eyes if you don't take care of it. Treat it, and it'll go away! If not, get help soon.

In brief: Not allergic in

Dr. Jan Lei Iwata
Dr. Jan Lei Iwata
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Probably not

We don't know the actual change in your body that will cause it to make styes.
Some suggest a change in immunity, or hormones or biochemistry. But there is no proof. Styes are a sort of random occurrence. Check with your ophthalmologist about how to treat them and minimize the occurrence.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Peter Kurzweil