My son swollowed a plastic bean from a board game. Should i take him into the er? If he will pass them how long until i should expect to see them?

Dr. Tipu Sultan
Internal Medicine - Allergy

In brief: How old is child

if he has swallowed it and if it has gone in the stomach it come out in stool.
If he not constipated it should come out in about 48 hours. Does it have sharp edges. Then it may be a concern and that case you will watch closely especially pay attention to development of abdominal pain

In brief: How old is child

Dr. Tipu Sultan
Dr. Tipu Sultan

In brief: No / few days

Kids often swallow foreign material of various textures and toxicity.
If a simple plastic bean or two made it down to the stomach & didn't hang up in the swallowing tube, they should make it out the other end in a few days.Feeding a kid stewed okra can encapsulate rough foreign objects and smooth their edges for transit.I wouldn't loose any sleep over this but might take precautions for the future

In brief: No / few days

Dr. Cindy Juster