I just fractured my toe what should I do?

Dr. Philip Miller

In brief: Get examined

use local ice and take ibuprofen ( Advil) or naproxen sodium ( Aleve) if not allergic to these medications.
You can try "buddy-taping the injured toe to the toe next to it and apply a wood splint between toes ( tongue depressor or ice cream wooden spoon- then proceed to you local UC clinic. Cut out the toe portion of an old sneaker.

In brief: Get examined

Dr. Philip Miller
Dr. Philip Miller
Dr. David Lipkin

In brief: See answer

Rest, ice, elevation, Tylenol (acetaminophen) and buddy tape.
If the bones are displaced additional treatment will be needed. For more information go to http://bit.ly/1BTHK1c

In brief: See answer

Dr. David Lipkin
Dr. David Lipkin
Dr. Jason Rubin
Podiatry

In brief: Seek examination

If you believe your toe is fractured you should have an x-ray done to see where the fracture is.
If there is a displaced or comminuted fracture involved then simply buddy-taping the toe to another toe may not be the best course of treatment. For now, RICE therapy as mentioned is a good temporary treatment. But it would be best to have the toe examined by a podiatrist or foot and ankle orthopedist

In brief: Seek examination

Dr. Jason Rubin
Dr. Jason Rubin