I have mosaic Turner syndrome and my karyotype is 45x. Since I don't have typical female chromosomes does this mean I am intersex?

Dr. Julan Crane

In brief: Sexual identity

You are the gender you feel you are as genes only play a part of our sexual identity

In brief: Sexual identity

Dr. Julan Crane
Dr. Julan Crane
Dr. Richard Roberts
I doubt whether women with Turner syndrome have a higher rate of opposite sexual identity than 46XX or 46XY. Doesn't seem worth looking into. Now geneticists are advising to postpone gender sexual assignment in children born with ambiguous genitalia, because we simply do not know enough to be able to predict the right choice. The child must make that decision to avoid really nasty decisions.
Dr. Richard Roberts
Clinical Genetics

In brief: Not at all

it is impossible to say whether your ovaries are 45X or 46XX.
The mosaicism, some tissues have many more of one than another. 45X females are typically female. Without growth hormone therapy they are under 5 feet tall. Most 45X females go through ovarian failure even before they have a chance to go through puberty, so they never menstruate. See http://www.turnersyndrome.org

In brief: Not at all

Dr. Richard Roberts
Dr. Richard Roberts
Dr. Richard Roberts
I should note--a person with Turner syndrome is missing an X chromosome in every cell, because Dad gave an X in the sperm, but mom's egg was missing the X, so the total was 45 chromosomes with 1 X. In mosaic Turner, some cells have 46 XX, and others have 45 X. If your chromosomal evaluation showed 45 X and no 46,XX, we can assume that you are not mosaic. A genetics consultation is indicated.
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham