How long do you keep a cast on for a sprained ankle?

Variable. If your sprain was bad enough to be in a cast and not in a boot i would leave it on for 2-3 weeks. Removal of the cast will allow range of motion but it would still need to be protected either w/ crutches a boot or ankle brace. If we can allow range of motion and protect from additional injury we can heal the ankle up faster. Re injury early on is a real possibility and needs to be protected.
Time may vary. It depends on the severity of the injury. Consult with your doctor and see how long he or she would recommend for you to have it on.
Cast to boot... Depending on the severity of a sprain, many people can avoid a cast all together with the use of a walking boot and/ or crutches. If your physician has decided you need a cast then he/ she can provide you with an estimated time frame based on how much damage they noted with the physical exam, and any imaging that may have been ordered.