Is hip dysplasia genetic?

Usually not. It may be caused by low amniotic fluid volume, inhibiting the fetal movement. I may be associated with rare bone displasias, or more frequently seen in chromosomal disorders like Down syndrome when babies are hypotonic. It most often is be sporadic finding.
Sometimes. Hip dysplasia can be genetic, in the sense that usually patients with a family history of hip dysplasia are at higher risk of having hip dysplasia. There are other risk factors as well – being firstborn, female, breeach presentation, and other problems associated with loose ligaments and flexibility. Swaddling the hips together tightly increases the risk of hip dysplasia.