I got bitten on my thigh by an insect yesterday when I was camping, and now the area feels very firm, what is this?

Dr. Theresa Henderson
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Allergic reaction

Probable reaction to the venom of the insect.
Take an antihistamine like Benadryl (diphenhydramine) or Zyrtec, apply a hydrocortisone cream 3Xs a day and cold compresses periodically for short periods until the swelling and redness goes down. These bites can sometimes get infected so watch for a whitehead developing and if it does, you will probably need an antibiotic. Witch Hazel applied to the bite helps itching

In brief: Allergic reaction

Dr. Theresa Henderson
Dr. Theresa Henderson
Dr. James Okamoto

In brief: Allergic reaction

Most likely what you are experiencing is a local reaction to the insect's saliva while you were bit, however if there is redness, warmth, or pain, then it may have a bacterial infection, which may need to be treated with antibiotics.
Since you were camping, you should also check closely to make sure there isn't anything under the skin (a sliver or thorn) that could have broken off under the skin!

In brief: Allergic reaction

Dr. James Okamoto
Dr. James Okamoto
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham