I had blood work done and my A1c is 5.3. My fasting glucose was 80 but my fasting glucose serum was 143. Insulin was normal. Is this diabetes?

Dr. Michael Kleerekoper
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Blood work

A1c of 5.3 is fine and a fasting glucose of 80 is also fine.
I do not know what you mean by "fasting glucose serum". I presume you had a fasting blood sugar level of 143 measured in your blood in the lab. There is no good reason for that. Why was insulin measured? If you can get more info from your doctor I would appreciate seeing the data.

In brief: Blood work

Dr. Michael Kleerekoper
Dr. Michael Kleerekoper
Pathology

In brief: Inconsistent info

All laboratory results need to be interpreted in the clinical context and the doctor who ordered the tests is usually in the best position to do that.
Having said that, A1c of 5.3 and fasting glucose of 80 both indicate that you are not diabetic. It is not clear what you mean by fasting glucose serum of 143.

In brief: Inconsistent info