I have had a hacking cough for over a month that lasts so long when I cough I gasp for air and white muscus is coming up, what could it be?

Dr. Edward Neilsen
In brief: Sinus, Lungs, Meds
Many things can cause chronic, nagging coughs.
The most common is post nasal drip from sinus problems or allergies. Other common causes are asthma, lung infections, medications (ace-inhibitors for example), or even acid-reflux.

In brief: Sinus, Lungs, Meds
Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Craig Canapari
In brief: Sinus infection
The most likely cause is an infection of your sinuses.
This may present with the sensation of mucus running down the back of your throat and a cough that is worst in the morning. Pertussis or whooping cough may also give you a prolonged cough. I would recommend evaluation by your doctor.

In brief: Sinus infection
Dr. Craig Canapari
Dr. Craig Canapari
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology