I had PTSD from hearing gunshots near me (now cured) yet I get frightened when hearing sudden loud bangs, how do I get rid of this fear?

Dr. Sheldon Kaplan
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Still PTSD?

One of the criteria for a PTSD diagnosis is overreactivity to an event similar to the original trauma.
If you are having fearful reactions to loud noises, it may mean that you should go back to your treating therapist and explore this difficulty and determine if further treatment is needed.

In brief: Still PTSD?

Dr. Sheldon Kaplan
Dr. Sheldon Kaplan
2 comments
Dr. Sheldon Kaplan
Psychiatric care is important BUT you probably should get into therapy with a psychologist trained in cognitive behavior therapy and who has experience treating PTSD with these methods. Check with the local psychological association or with the Association for the Advancement of Cognitive Behavior Therapy.
Dr. Sheldon Kaplan
Psychiatric care is important BUT you should pribobably seek the services of a psychologist trained in cognitive behavior therapy with experience with PTSD. Check with the local psychological association and with the Association for the Advancement of Cognitive Behavior Therapy.
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: PTSD

In my opinion, PTSD is rarely, if ever actually cured.
PTSD is all about effective management instead, involving medication as needed, and psychotherapy.

In brief: PTSD

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Sherry Broadwell
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Therapy revisited

It's wonderful that you have gotten better. PTSD is often a chronic condition with symptoms that can wax and wane over time .
What you are describing is an exaggerated startle response, which is quite understandable given your experience. As pointed out already, a qualified trauma therapist can assist you to foster a greater sense of safety and to desensitize you to distressing loud sounds. Best

In brief: Therapy revisited

Dr. Sherry Broadwell
Dr. Sherry Broadwell
Dr. Keegan Duchicela