Hi. I have a tooth ache / tooth infection and I am trying to nurse it til I can make it to a dentist. I found some amoxicillin I had from before 500 mg. can I just take 1 or 2 pills per day 1 in morning and 1 at night till I can get to them in a few da

Dr. Thomas Yash
Dentistry

It is never a good idea to diagnose and treat yourself.
You should contact your dentist to be treated for the emergency. However, if that is not possible, and have pain and swelling, the antibiotics may help. If you have no allergies to penicillin, you should take three tablets daily or every eight hours for the infection. You could also contact your MD for some medication.

Dr. Thomas Yash
Dr. Thomas Yash
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: 3 Times a day ok

3X daily is ok for amoxacillin.

In brief: 3 Times a day ok

3X daily is ok for amoxacillin.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: No

Wrong dose. Also, why do you have left-over antibiotics.
Antibiotics are supposed to be taken for the full course of the prescription. And how old are the pills? have they aged out? Call your Dentist for advice as to what to do until he/she can see you.

In brief: No

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine