Are there any bad sides of getting a sealant? Could decay possibly get trapped in the tooth, causing it to rot?

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Sealants

Done properly, the sealants are "sealed" to the tooth and prevent decay rather than promoting or causing it.
If you trust your dentist, trust his/her recommendations. I have used sealants on my own children without any reservations.

In brief: Sealants

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Thomas Yash
Dentistry

In brief: No and no.

There are no side effects to sealants.
There used to be an issue about them containing biphenyl in resin but that has been eliminated. They are safe and stick well to permanent teeth. If the DDS suspects dental caries when placement, they will certainly change the procedure and remove caries before restoring. Any subsequent decay would be detected on the bite wing x-rays.

In brief: No and no.

There are no side effects to sealants.
Dr. Thomas Yash
Dr. Thomas Yash
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Sealants

No risk, none. And exponentially greater risk of chewing surface decay in unsealed tooth than in sealed tooth.
If your Dentist is recommending sealants, follow his/her advice.

In brief: Sealants

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Keegan Duchicela