My orthodontist just started closing the gap in my two front teeth but now there is a very large painful lump of flesh behind them... It hurts to eat.

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Call Orthodontist

Orthodontist may wish to slow rate of space closure or refer you to a Periodontist to relieve the tissue.
You can help by carefully cleaning between your teeth to eliminate inflammation.

In brief: Call Orthodontist

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: See orthodontist

Not normal. See orthodontist.
Make sure "orthodontist" is a board certified orthodontist.

In brief: See orthodontist

Not normal. See orthodontist.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Eyal Simchi
Dentistry - Pediatric

In brief: Give it some time

Although it is pretty common for that tissue to get irritated, if the problem persists for more than 2 weeks you should have your dentist take a look.
In the meantime, avoid eating hot, spicy or really rough foods to allow for faster healing.

In brief: Give it some time

Dr. Eyal Simchi
Dr. Eyal Simchi
Dr. Jack Hinkle