Severe allergic reaction to poison sumac on eyelid. Eye is swollen shut. Started oral steroids 12 hours ago with no apparent difference. Any advice?

Dr. Justin Greiwe
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Contact dermatitis

You're on the right track with oral steroids, you can take antihistamines for itch.
If you have any vision changes or painful movements of the eye I would recommend seen a physician as soon as possible. If the rash is limited to your periorbital region monitor closely. I would avoid topical steroid creams around eye if possible now that you're on oral steroids. Good luck

In brief: Contact dermatitis

Dr. Justin Greiwe
Dr. Justin Greiwe
Dr. John Chiu
Be sure to wash every object (shoes , tools etc) with a laundry detergent to remove the resin. Else your problem may keep on returning .