Usually for patient with epiglottitis, the doctor will do endotrachel intubation first or tracheostomy first?

In brief: Depends

With epiglottis the airway is quite swollen, reducing the size of tube that can get through & the person can spasm their airway shut while being prepared.
If they can, they will often have an anesthesiologist give meds to relax the patient. They attempt intubation and move to trach if unsuccessful.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Nadia Ghattas

In brief: Epiglotitis

Endotrachial intubation is attempted 1st in the presence of an anaestethiologist, if unsuccessful because of larynogospasm, then the trachiostomy is the next options.
I hope that helps.

In brief: Epiglotitis

I hope that helps.
Dr. Nadia Ghattas
Dr. Nadia Ghattas
Dr. Cindy Juster