My husband insists on anal sex at least once a month but I find it very painful. Is it safe and there anyway to make it less painful?

Dr. Sidney Vinson
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: See below

Anal intercourse is generally safe but if it hurts.
..You shouldn't do it!

In brief: See below

..You shouldn't do it!
Dr. Sidney Vinson
Dr. Sidney Vinson
2 comments
Perhaps you can find something else equally wild and exciting that you both enjoy doing, instead. In medical school on general surgery, I reached the conclusion that this is likely to cause damage and nothing that I've seen or read since, despite all the rhetoric, has made me change my mind.
Dr. Liawaty Ho
nobody will do something againsts your will unless you allow him to. So, my suggestion is to talk to your husband and tell him that it is painful and you dont enjoy doing it . find something else that you both enjoy doing. Love is not hurt. bottom point is that If he loves you he will not hurt you.
Dr. Donald Hazlett

In brief: Emotional or Physical?

Having both, odds are it isn't safe.
Making it less painful may not make it safe or safer. For women it's risky, especially for those who bore children. Close proximity of vagina, urethra, clitoris, anus, uterus, sigmoid colon & bladder coupled with possible anal contamination are why. If anal sex is forced in the slightest physically or against one's will, physical and emotional damage can occur. Birth canal damage during delivery can be exacerbated. Infections are a risk. Talk to him when things are quiet. Tell him how you feel. Ask if he will join you in a talk with your ob/gyn doctor.

In brief: Emotional or Physical?

Having both, odds are it isn't safe.
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Donald Hazlett
The closeness of urethra and anus in women makes infections of the urethra, bladder and the kidney (infections thatg move from the urethra, bladder, ureter and on up to the kidney ) more likely with anal intercourse.
Dr. Andrea Brand