When I am stressed sometimes I feel some liquid flowing downwards towards my penis. Why is that and what is that? Is it blood or any chemical that flows downwards during stress or anxiety? Thanks

Dr. Alan Steinbach

In brief: Feelings and reality

Hi RoodleK Feelings of fluids moving in the body are often virtual.
.the result of stimulation of sensory nerves that would respond if there was fluid moving. Each body has a complex of reactions to stress, fear, or anxiety. This may be one of your responses. Both blood and urine do flow towards the penis, but its not necessary to have actual fluid flowing to have the feeling. Good luck!!

In brief: Feelings and reality

Dr. Alan Steinbach
Dr. Alan Steinbach
Dr. Steven Griggs
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Well, blood is red,

so check the color. I'm assuming the fluid is external--outside the skin.
If its clear, it probably is sweat, as anxiety produces lots of that, potentially. The body sweats everywhere, including the front part of the abdomen. You might get a general physical and bring this up. Does this happen a lot? Are you anxious a lot? Why?

In brief: Well, blood is red,

Dr. Steven Griggs
Dr. Steven Griggs
Dr. Beverly Dexter
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Neuropeptides

Candace Pert's book Molecules of Emotion explains that neuropeptides(the molecules we interpret as emotion)are produced in heavy concentration in limbic system(emotional control center of brain) and around digestive and reproductive tracts(neuropeptides help shunt blood away from them).
Allows more of your blood to major muscles to fight or flee, normal stress response..talk to your doc if worried

In brief: Neuropeptides

Dr. Beverly Dexter
Dr. Beverly Dexter
Dr. Emily Garai
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Common Reaction

It is a completely normal response to feel an urgency to urinate or something like that when anxious.
Your body is saving all its resources for the major organs (heart, lungs) to run or fight the scary thing so it shuts off a lot of other organs. This leads to feelings of needing to urinate, stomach upset, hot flashes or chills, and other physiological symptoms.

In brief: Common Reaction

Dr. Emily Garai
Dr. Emily Garai
Dr. Adam Smith