My son was born in May and I had him circumcised at the hospital. His circumcision was done with a mogen clamp. I'm not sure if enough skin was take?

Dr. Natalie Hodge

In brief: Circumcision

Think of it this way, as we are removing the foreskin with the Mogen Clamp, we have to pick where we are going to make the incision, right? We can take off "not enough" skin or we can take off "too much" skin, depending on your perspective.
Most babies now with this procedure have a little bit of foreskin left at the base, as you mention. Enjoy your baby!

In brief: Circumcision

Dr. Natalie Hodge
Dr. Natalie Hodge

In brief: Relax

A goal of circumcision is removal of enough foreskin so the glans (spearhead) can never be trapped by a swollen foreskin.
That problem called paraphimosis is painful, can require emergency surgery and lead to lose of part of the glans.In primitive cultures they just make a lengthwise slit to stop the risk.Your concern is valid but more for the look than the need.By 1yo it shouldn't make a differenc

In brief: Relax

Dr. Shontae Buffington