I have been taking augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) for 72 hours and still have ear pressure, pain and ringing from ear infection. Should I return to doctor?

Dr. Vahe Yetimyan
General Practice

In brief: Ear discomfort

The pain may or may not be a direct effect of the infection itself.
If the pain is due to inflammation this should go away rapidly, assuming the causative organism is susceptible to augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate). If, however, pain is due to congestion and consequent occlusion of the eustacian tubes this may require decongestants and possibly steroids. See your doctor for reevaluation of your ear.

In brief: Ear discomfort

Dr. Vahe Yetimyan
Dr. Vahe Yetimyan
Dr. Shontae Buffington